Sunday 13 April 2014

Bloom in your own time. // thoughts on art comparison.



As an artist I am constantly surrounded by other talented people especially through social media sites facebook, instagram and blogs and I'll be the first to admit it's very hard to not compare yourself to another artist, and when you see work which you deem to be "better" than you're own it's hard not to get down. But over the many years of finding myself as not only an artist but as my own person, style wise, morals wise, food wise even as you get older you realise it's okay to be you, it's okay to like this or that and why wouldn't I apply that to my art? I read this quote and I can no longer remember the words so I rephrased it and it goes something like this

"A flower bud would not compare it's growth to the flower next to it, it will bloom in it's own time."

And since I read that quote it's been on my mind, it's really helped me put a lot of things into perspective.

So I'm making a pro active choice to be positive by supporting other artists even if it's just through a like or a comment. I'm going to make a conscious choice not compare myself because you would never compare a fish to a toaster so this should not be any different. I think if everyone started to be more supportive of one another and not as competitive we'd all get along not only with each other but our selves as well.

While thinking over this concept I drew up this wonderful lil lady, I feel she envisions what and who I'd like to be this winter.





Till next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment